Frank Sinatra was born 100 years ago today




To mark the occasion here is Sinatra's brilliant cover of New York, New York from his 1980 album Trilogy: Past Present Future. It was his last top 40 hit.
Composed by John Kander, with lyrics by Fred Ebb. It was written for and performed by Liza Minnelli for the musical New York, New York (1977), directed by Martin Scorsese.







Are you a fan of Frank Sinatra? Share your memories of him in the comments




Best songs of 1980 (part 1) (part 2) (part 3) (part 4) (part 5) (part 6) (part 7) (part 8) (part 9) (part 10) (part 11) (part 12) (part 13)



8 comments:

  1. "The Voice." The mould was broken on the day Francis Albert was born!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Paul S: He’s important for sure. I tend to think of Ol’ Blue Eyes, he goes by many nicknames!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is the Legend

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a lifelong Yankees fan, I'm legally obligated to say that New York, New York is one of the greatest songs ever recorded. Just know that I'm being honest when I say this. I mean, who doesn't like Sinatra?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Wendell: I agree it’s a great song. For me, more powerful than Liza Minnelli’s version. You'll find people online who don't like his music, but most seem to acknowledge that Sinatra was a great singer.

      Delete
  5. This reminds me: I started watching Sinatra: All or Nothing at All last year, and I never finished it. I need to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Josh: I enjoyed the Sinatra doc, although it is long, so I watched it over a few days. If you haven't already, you can read my review here: http://moviesandsongs365.blogspot.com/2015/08/reviews-of-documentaries-part-2-music.html

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails