2014 Blind Spot series: The Seven Year Itch (1955)






Directed by Billy Wilder, and starring Marilyn Monroe. Arguably her most iconic movie moment, when she’s wearing the white dress, and stands over the grate.

It takes a bit of getting used to, that the main character talks to himself. They would never get away with that today, perhaps it would have been a voice-over in a contemporary film?
You are never quite certain which scenes are imagined, or real, because it soon becomes evident that the male protagonist is a dreamer.

The seven-year itch is a psychological term that suggests that happiness in a relationship declines after around year seven of a marriage. The Seven Year Itch is based on a 1952 three-act play.

I liked the performances, and Marilyn Monroe obviously is the reason to see the film. Tom Ewell, who reprises his role from the stage, is very good as the man who is infatuated with her.

A cute, easy watch, if you are in the mood for something light and romantic. I would call it good, rather than great. An essential watch, if you are a fan of the classics.

The film was listed at number 51 on the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 American comedy films of the past 100 years. Ewell won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy.


Agree or disagree? Have you watched The Seven Year Itch? Which are your favorite Billy Wilder films?

10 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this film though I am planning to check out more films by Billy Wilder as The Apartment is so far my favorite film of his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @thevoid99: You should check out The Seven Year Itch, probably M Monroe’s most famous moment.
      Wilder’s films, Ace in The Hole (1951) is my fav. The Apartment is great, but I couldn’t help thinking the story, essentially, is a rom-com, a great rom-com at that, but still a rom-com. Maybe I’m missing something, the characters are wonderful and timeless.

      Delete
  2. Oh, it's the one with the dress, haha. Really want to see it because of that, but also because I loved everything else I've seen from Billy Wilder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mette: Yep, the dress scene is what is remembered, the rest of the film is worthwhile too. Billy Wilder, he’s directed so many classics, an amazing career.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen anything by Billy Wilder yet, but hoping to catch The Apartment soon as it's on my Blind Spot list. I also have this one on loan from a friend so hopefully I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ruth: You've got a bunch of films to look forward to then, if you are new to Billy Wilder! The Apartment is easy to like, and so is The Seven Year Itch

      Delete
  4. I pretty much agree with your take. It's a cute story and has some likable moments, yet it's behind most everything else that I've seen from Wilder so far. I can see why it helped to make Monroe a star, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Dan Heaton: It's not Billy Wilder's best, but yeah, the film has likable moments, and the two leads are memorable.

      Delete
  5. Glad you liked it, Chris. It's light entertainment, but Monroe is brilliant. I like Ewell's performance too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Josh: Yeah, I quite liked it. Indeed, the performances are what made the movie distinctive.

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails