The music of Talking Heads (2 of 4)






Album: Fear of Music (1979)
Thoughts: Life During Wartime is probably my no 2 favorite track by the group(if I did a top 10), a song that has got stuck in my head. The lyrics I prefer on their 1977 and 1978 albums.
Favorite tracks: Life During Wartime, Heaven, Drugs






Album: Remain in Light (1980)
Thoughts: The album has been called inventive and influential, and is strong all the way through. Has a terrific multi-layered soundscape, danceable, and fast-paced, but quite exhausting to listen to in its entirety, even if only 40 minutes long.

Favorite tracks: Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On), Once in a Lifetime, Listening Wind

Favorite lyric:
“Oh, I’m changing my shape,
I feel like an accident”
“Sometimes the world has a load of questions
Seems like the world knows nothing at all
The world is near but it's out of reach
Some people touch it...but they can't hold on.”



Any thoughts on the music? Have you listened to the Talking Heads? Or are you new to the band as I am?

6 comments:

  1. Fear of Music was my entry into Talking Heads. I discovered it in 1982 and was instantly hooked. Remain in Light is my favorite disc of theirs, and one of my favorites of any group.

    "The world moves on a woman's hips
    The world moves and it swivels and bops
    The world moves on a woman's hips
    The world moves and it bounces and hops"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @SJHoneywell: Well-wriiten (and sexy) lyric set you picked out:) I see on wikipedia those words have a special meaning(or you can just leave it to the imagination). The group write in such an unusual, unique way.

      I hope to do a top 10 songs when I'm done blogging about the albums.

      Delete
  2. Remain in Light is just out of this world and truly one of the best albums ever. In fact, what made me listen to that album was Trent Reznor who considered the album to be a major influence in the making of The Fragile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @thevoid99: Glad love that album! Didn't know Trent Reznor considered the album a major influence.
      I've also discovered older music, because it was an influence for a contemporary band. Cool when that happens!

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed Fear of Music. I'm not sure why, but that's the one that still stands out to me most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric @ The Warning Sign: Fear of Music is a good album, I can listen to Life During Wartime non-stop :) One of my favorite 80s tracks.

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails