In appreciation: The Jesus And Mary Chain (1 of 2)

Album: Psychocandy (1985)


Just Like Honey

(Probably the band's best known single, and my personal favorite from the group, which was used to great effect during the final moments of Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation)




Cut Dead





Album: Darklands (1987)


Happy When It Rains



April Skies



About You





Album: Automatic (1989)


Head-on

(Another track I fell in love with during a movie, 2010's under-appreciated The High Cost Of Living)





I had only listened to a handful of songs by the group over the years, so took the plunge recently, and went through their entire discography. Part 2 of 2 next week.

Which are your favorite tracks or albums by The Jesus And Mary Chain? Are you new to the band as I was? As always, share your thoughts on the music in the comments.

7 comments:

  1. Psychocandy is my favorite album... easily.

    Darklands is a close second with Honey's Dead in third. Automatic is a good record as it features one of my favorite songs in "Blues From a Gun".

    I just love the heaviness of their sound willing to find something through noisy guitars. That would later upped to even more brilliance by My Bloody Valentine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @thevoid99: Thanks for sharing your appreciation for the music. I can tell you definitely love the band a bit more than I do. Too early to say which is my fav album by them, I really liked the tracks I shared here.
      I overlooked "Blues From a Gun" from Automatic. I'll have to give it a listen.

      Delete
    2. It's uncanny how similar Void's musical tastes are to mine. Once again I agree with every word.

      Delete
  2. Psychocandy is obviously a classic and I've got a lot of time for it, but I always return to Automatic as my favourite of their albums. It's like a cross between Psychocandy and ZZ Top and possibly one of the hardest rocking records by a British Band.

    I remember buying it with my first ever turntable from a second hand shop in Hull in 1990. How times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @doccortex: At the moment, I'd say Darklands (1987) is my favorite by TJAMC, though there are great tracks on all their 80s records.

      Delete
  3. I've listened to a few songs from the band. Pretty great. I will check their songs more in depth soon. I love Just Like Honey. I am becoming more and more interested in this alternative, 90's, shoegaze genre. Btw, what do you think of Slowdive? Or Lush? Desire Lines is a pretty cinematic song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cristi B: The Jesus and Mary Chain were in their prime in the 80s. Their 90s albums are ok, but not essential.

      I don’t really have an opinion about those other bands you mention, because I haven’t listened to them :) I’ll add them to my ever growing list of bands to explore, thanks for the recommendations.

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails