In appreciation - The Flaming Lips (part 4 of 4)

Album: At War With The Mystics (2006)



The eleventh album by the Flaming Lips, and my third favorite from their career. The LP is more guitar-driven and features more politically themed lyrics than The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.
The track "It Overtakes Me" was featured as the soundtrack to a UK television commercial for Beck's beer, and "The W.A.N.D." has been used in European advertisements.


The W.A.N.D. (The Will Always Negates Defeat) - The Flaming Lips



Mr. Ambulance Driver - The Flaming Lips



The sound of failure/it's dark...is it always this dark - The Flaming Lips



Vein Of Stars - The Flaming Lips



It Overtakes Me / The Stars Are So Big... I Am So Small... Do I Stand a Chance? - The Flaming Lips







Album: Spider-Man 3: Music From And Inspired By (2007)


The Supreme Being Teaches Spider-man How To Be In Love - The Flaming Lips







Album: Embryonic (2009)


While Embryonic (2009) was critically acclaimed, it is (similar to the band's early work) simply too noisy for me to enjoy in its entirety.


Gemini Syringes - The Flaming Lips



I Can Be A Frog - The Flaming Lips






Listeners, any thoughts on the albums above? This brings to a close my Flaming Lips appreciation, I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted! In the upcoming weeks, I'll be sharing Johnny Cash music






4 comments:

  1. One of these days I should check out your music post and find the music (low internet connection here!). Nice that you put OST Spider-Man 3. I almost didn't put that one, but glad I found it in the end. Some of these tracks are actually nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Andina: Thanks for Spider-Man 3 soundtrack suggestion, I missed it myself when going through Flaming Lips albums.

      That's too bad about internet connection, maybe buy a faster speed, so you can use youtube for music?

      Delete
  2. I like both of these albums quite a bit, though Embryonic suffers from the traditional problem with double-albums: there's just too much of it. With some editing, it could have been a hell of a single album. I think "Convinced of the Hex" is a great opener, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Eric: I appreciate both albums. For me, At War With The Mystics (2006) was more geared towards my senses. Gemini Syringes was a favorite from Embryonic (2009)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails