The Ten Most Iconic Movie Characters Blog-a-Thon






Nostra of Myfilmviews has created another blog-a-thon. The idea is simple:


A list of 10 iconic movie characters has been made. That list will be assigned to another blogger who can then change it by removing one character (describing why they think it should not be on the list) and replace it with another one (also with motivation) and hand over the baton to another blogger. Once assigned, that blogger will have to put his/her post up within a week. If this is not the case the blogger who assigned it has to reassign it to another blogger. After you have posted your update leave the link in the comments here and I will make sure it gets added to the overview post.


Steven of Surrender To The Void has passed the baton to me. The following have contributed so far:


Myfilmviews

Keith & the Movies

Flixchatter

A Fistful of Films

The Movie Scrutineer

Cinematic Corner

And So It Begins...

The Cinematic Spectacle

Rambling Film

Reel Talk

Defiant Success

Being Norma Jeane

Lime Reviews and Strawberry Confessions

Film Flare

Girl Meets Cinema

Big Screen Small Words

Films and Coke

Two Dollar Cinema

Dell on Movies

Surrender To The Void

Movies and Songs 365




Darth Vader



Ellen Ripley



James Bond



Jack Torrance



Indiana Jones



E.T.



Harry Potter



Batman



The Man With No Name






Who I'm adding:


"Godfather" Don Vito Corleone

From what I can tell, no gangster bosses have featured. So if we’re talking inclusion of all genres over the course of the relay race, who better to choose than the great Marlon Brando, in his Oscar-winning performance as "Godfather" Don Vito Corleone, in which he utters the iconic movie quote “I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse”. I can’t think of a gangster film that has been praised (and parodied) more than The Godfather (1972). The character is epecially memorable for the way he speaks, with cotton balls in his mouth. Even those who know little about movies have heard of that movie and that character.




Who I'm removing:


Jason Voorhees

Horror is already represented with The Shining (1980) and Jack Nicholson's iconic character. I haven't seen the Friday The 13th franchise except the first film, in which Jason doesn't have the mask. Wearing a hockey mask doesn't ask a lot from the actor, so that counts against him. Probably I'm being unfair, since I didn't watch the sequels. Granted Jason is known among those who never watched Friday The 13th franchise. But I would say Freddy Krueger is just as iconic, if not more so, in terms of his appearance. Sorry to TwoDollarCinema!



I had fun taking part, and now I pass the baton to Eric at The Warning Sign

22 comments:

  1. Great list and nice to see the Don added. Actually started rewatching The Godfather yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Nostra: Thanks, and good job on creating another interesting blog-a-thon!
      Considering rewatching Godfather trilogy myself this year, been too long.

      Delete
  2. Nice choice! I see this last has changed a bit since I participated which is cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mette: Thanks! Yep, there have been a few changes. Will be interesting to follow how the list evolves.

      Delete
  3. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I was just thinking the other night, why isn't Vito Corleone on here and then viola! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Fisti: Happy you approve of my selection (: I actually compiled a list of contenders, which were all considered:
      H Bogart in Casablanca, Inspector Clouseau, Dr. Emmett Brown in Back To The Future, Henry in Eraserhead, Alex Delarge in Clockwork Orange, Travis Bickle, Norman Bates, Axel Foley, Crocodile Dundee, Wolverine, Godzilla ,Graf Orlok in Nosferatu, the monster in Frankenstein, Freddy Krueger

      Delete
  4. Brilliant choice! I left Vito Corleone off since he was a literary character first, but I can't argue with that pick at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Josh: Yep, Vito is a literary character. Fair enough that you went with a strictly “movie” character for your pick. I didn’t feel restricted by that. James Bond and Harry Potter are based on novels, so I suppose it’s ok.

      Delete
  5. Ahhh, this is going to be a tough one! Good call on adding Vito. I'll have to rack my brain this weekend and see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric @ The Warning Sign: Thank you! Take your time, look forward to your choice
      I was wondering if a voice character would get added, I know you are a fan of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Perhaps Darth Vader is a tough one to top.

      Delete
    2. Hah, it's like you read my mind! That's exactly who/what I was thinking of. Now I just need to figure out who to remove. My goal is to have my post up by tomorrow.

      Delete
    3. Eric@ The Warning Sign: Good stuff! love that HAL 9000(my favorite film) is part of the race, at least for a brief while anyway. Will take a look at your post.

      Delete
  6. Vito Corleone... that is a great character. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @thevoid99: Indeed, Vito is a memorable character, and great that we got a prequel story, which was handled so well in Godfather part 2.

      Delete
  7. Who added Jason Voorhees! haha! Good one to remove there Chris...good job! Who can argue with the Don!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Dan: I agree Jason is the least iconic of these characters, which is why I decided to remove him off the list.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad to see the Don on this list, but Im a bit sad to see Jason removed from this list. Jason is iconic, but yeah compared to Freddy not as much Great List

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @The Vern: Someone has to go :) Jason/Freddy, you’re going to have defenders of each. Freddy Krueger I heard about when I was 8-years-old, just seeing a poster. Jason I didn't know until I started watching horror in my teens.

      Delete
  9. I can't fuss too much about the inclusion of Vito, but I'm still sad to see Jason go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Wendell Ottley: Apologizes for removing Jason! Glad you are ok with Don Vito

      Delete
  10. Vito Corleone is a fabulous choice, and the world of mafia films definitely needs to be represented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Irene McKenna: Thanks for your support! Hopefully all film genres are represented during the race.

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails