My most Anticipated Films of Autumn and Winter 2013-14

Not going to include release dates, because differs, depending on where you are in the world





Enough Said (2013) (dir: Nicole Holofcener)

(I like her movies, especially 2001's Lovely & Amazing and 2010s Please Give)





Nebraska (2013) (dir: Alexander Payne)

(The trailer doesn't have me that excited, but you never know. Since Nebraska is a road movie, I hope that means it will be a sister film to Sideways and About Schmidt, both of which are in my top 100)





Gravity (2013) (dir: Alfonso CuarĂ³n)

(A lot of positive buzz from film festivals. Looks like a film that is meant to be watched on the big screen.)





The Spectacular Now (2013) (dir: James Ponsoldt)

(The enthusiastic word of mouth in the blogosphere has me curious. Maybe this year's Perks of Being A Wallflower?)





Her (2013) (dir: Spike Jonze)

(Spike Jonze's work is so oddball and original. You just don't know what to expect.)





Ender's Game (2013) (dir: Gavin Hood)

(This year, I read the novel from the 80s, so interested to see how the story translates to film)





12 Years A Slave (2013) (dir: Steve McQueen)

(It seems Steve McQueen can do no wrong of late, Hunger (2008) and Shame (2012) are both brutal and uncomprimising. Perhaps Michael Fassbender will finally be recognized by the Academy, word is his role is similar to Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List)





Prisoners (2013) (dir: Denis Villeneuve)

(Villeneuve's last film Incendies (2010) was nominated for foreign language oscar, a brutal watch, not because story contains lots of violence, but disturbing emotionally. I had a strong reaction to Incendies, and I've only heard good things about his latest.)





Philomena (2013) (dir: Stephen Frears)

(I don't want to watch brutal movies every time I go to the cinema, so this probably is a bit lighter, with some humour and witty dialogue. The chemistry between Steve Coogan and Judi Dench looks good in the trailer)





The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) (dir: Peter Jackson)

(I saw the first Hobbit film in cinema last December, and will do the same again for part 2. Watching it on tv just doesn't work for me)





A Long Way Down (2014) (dir: Pascal Chaumeil)

(The latest adaptation of a novel by Nick Hornby. It could be hit or miss)





Fruitvale Station (2013) (dir: Ryan Coogler)

(Won a few awards at film festivals, and maybe a director to look out for in the future)





August: Osage County (2013) (dir: John Wells)

(Great emsemble cast, and Meryl Streep looks on top form judging from the trailer. Based on a play, from the writer of Killer Joe. I must say it looks a hell of a lot different to Friedkin's film.)





Enemy (2013) (dir: Denis Villeneuve)

(The story is about a man who seeks out his exact look-alike after spotting him in a movie. Jake Gyllenhaal teams up with director Denis Villeneuve, they also worked together on 2013's Prisoners.)





Blue Is the Warmest Color (2013) (Abdellatif Kechiche)

(Winner of the Palme d'Or at this years Cannes Film Festival. Hopefully the film lives up to the hype. So far most of the talk has been about the actresses complaining about working conditions on the set. Here's hoping none of them had a 'Christian Bale meltdown' during the production.)





The Past (2013) (dir: Asghar Farhadi)

(From the director of A Separation (2011), which impressed me, and won the foreign language oscar)





Noah (2014) (dir: Darren Aronofsky)

(I don't recall ever seeing a bad movie from Aronofsky. Not sure if this is a blockbuster. Anticipating the trailer)





Nymphomaniac (2013) (dir: Lars von Trier)

(Lars von Trier's films and press conferences are controversial, yet he continues to have an impact. His style is not for everyone, and tends to divide audiences. There are those who claim he shocks just for the sake of shocking, and that his storytelling manipulates the audience. I'm one of those who thinks there is substance to be found in his films)





Labor Day (2013) (dir: Jason Reitman)

(As with Aronofsky, Jason Reitman is another who directs good movies almost every single time...)




Other new films I want to see:
Compliance (2012)
Liberal Arts (2012)
John Dies at the End (2012)
Safety Not Guaranteed (2012)
Beyond the Hills (2012)
The Comedy (2012) (dir: Rick Alverson)
Bullhead (2011)
Mer eller mindre mann (2012)
The Grandmaster (2013)
The East (2013)
The Worlds End (2013)
The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012)
Like Someone in Love (2012)
Disconnect (2012)
The Kings of Summer (2013)
The Bling Ring (2013)
Blue Jasmine (2013)
Prince Avalanche (2013)
Upstream Color (2013)
Thursday Through Sunday (2012)
Frances Ha (2012)
Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)
The Counselor (2013)
Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
Serena (2013)
Night Moves (2013)
Under The Skin (2013)
Snowpiercer (2013)
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa (2013)


Documentaries:
West of Memphis (2012)
The Invisible War (2012)
The Queen of Versailles (2012)
Central Park Five (2012)
The Act of Killing (2012)
Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry (2012)
Desert Runners (2013)
Mistaken for Strangers (2013)
Jodorowsky’s Dune (2013)
Blackfish (2013)
Liv & Ingmar (2012)
Michael H - Profession: Director (2013)


For my complete watchlist, including those films without a release date go here

Readers, thoughts on the above selections? Did I miss anything? Which are your most anticipated films of 2013-14?

26 comments:

  1. Of your "other films" I highly recommend Safety Not Guaranteed. It was my number 2 film of 2012.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Chip Lary: I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. I'm excited for so many of these!
    Especially: Her, Gravity, 12 Years a Slave, Enemy, Noah and The Spectacular Now. Although Enemy now classes as 2014.

    No interest in The Counselor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @LightsCameraReaction: I’m excited for those you mention too!

      I just went with IMDb year for Enemy, which is 2013, though I see what you mean, that it will get a UK theatrical release in 2014.

      The Counselor I’m not desperate to see in the cinema, I’m ok waiting for the dvd.

      Delete
  3. Nice list. For me, it's Nymphomaniac (though I think it will play in the U.S. next year), Her, 12 Years a Slave, Gravity, Thor 2, Hunger Games 2 (all because of the Mrs. thevoid99), Labor Day, The Past, and Blue is the Warmest Color. I might go see Enough Said this weekend w/ Don Jon if I have some money to blow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @thevoid99: Thank you. I remember you love Lars von Trier’s work. In the case of Nym, living in Europe is an advantage, and I’ll likely get to see his latest before you Americans.
      Nicole Holofcener’s Enough Said looks like something I would personally enjoy, will look out for your review.

      Delete
  4. Nice list, Chris. I just saw Prisoners, and it's one of my favorites of the year so far. After seeing it, I can't wait to check out Enemy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Josh: Thanks, happy to hear Prisoners is one of your favorites of the year.

      Yeah, Enemy sounds interesting, and apparently it’s not the only film about doubles.The Double (2013) with Jesse Eisenberg is on the way too.

      Delete
  5. Man, I want to see most all of these. We're going to have a great fall/winter. So pumped for 12 Years a Slave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alex Withrow: Agree that it’s shaping up to be a strong fall/winter for cinema.

      Your enthusiasm for Steve McQueen’s two previous films was immense, so curious about your reaction to 12 Years a Slave.

      Delete
  6. A lot of films I am excited to watch as well. I have seen a few of your other films and the one I will recommend the most is Compliance. You must remember everyone going crazy last year right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @SDG: Plenty of anticipated films to look forward to, and some recent ones to watch on dvd. Yep, I remember the chatter about Compliance, I’ll check it out.

      Delete
  7. I can't wait for Gravity and also Captain Philips. Alfonso Cuaron and Paul Greengrass are both amazing directors. Both films at London Film Festival but I imagine I've already missed the chance of tickets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Pete Turner: Gravity will be getting a wide release in November (UK), so not long to wait.
      Don’t think I’ve seen any of Paul Greengrass’s recent films, though I’ve heard good things.

      Delete
  8. Gravity will likely end up in my Best list this year, it lives up to the hype, Chris. Looks amazing in 3D too!

    From your list, I'm most stoked about 12 Years a Slave and The Hobbit 2, can't wait to see those! No interest in Enders Game though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ruth: Thanks for the heads-up on Gravity, can’t wait to see it, and I’ll make sure to book a ticket for 3D.
      Me too, 12 Years a Slave and The Hobbit 2 look promising.

      Delete
  9. Michael B Jordan should get an Oscar nom for his work on Fruitvale Station. I agree that Aaronofsky and Von Trier have yet to make a really bad movie. Can't wait to see Gravity in Imax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @TheVern: Must be a great performance by Michael B Jordan, if he deserves an Oscar nom. Aronofsky and Lars von Trier always make movies I want to see. Excited for Gratvity as well.

      Oh, and Chungking Express ( I accidentally deleted your comment by mistake, sorry about that). Agree the second half is the strongest part.

      Delete
  10. I hope Gravity is as mind blowing as people say it is. Her looks like a film I'd like. I hope the Hobbit 2 is better than the first one which was just ok.

    12 Years a Slave and Prisoners are already certified great films so, I can't wait to see them. I am still waiting for a release date in my country for Snowpiercer. It looks like it could get in. It looks so good.

    From the films I have already seen from your list I recommend Beyond The Hills from my fellow native Cristian Mungiu. I also liked The East a lot, better than Sound of my Voice. Compliance and Liberal Arts are good films, you won't regret seeing them. I didn't like Safety Not Guaranteed, but many others have. Maybe you will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cristi B: Me too, fingers crossed Gravity lives up to the hype.

      Spike Jonze's "Her" does have me intrigued, I just watched his cute short film I'm Here (2010).

      Hobbit 2 will probably be more of the same I'm guessing.

      Yep, 12 Years a Slave and Prisoners are getting rave reviews on rotten tomatoes.

      Don't know anything about Snowpiercer except its based on a graphic novel, not familiar with that universe, maybe that's a good thing going in.

      Hope to catch those from the "other new films" list soon(after my month of horror in October.), thanks for sharing your thoughts on them.

      Delete
  11. Great list! I'll hopefully see Gravity next week it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Sati: Thank you! Hope to see Gravity soon as well

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm interested in nearly all of these as well. I missed The Spectacular Now and Fruitvale Station during their theatrical runs here, unfortunately, so I'll have to wait for DVD on those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric @ The Warning Sign: Will look out for your thoughts on The Spectacular Now and Fruitvale Station, once you get to see them.

      Delete
  14. You bring attention to some films I was not aware of that I should definitely get to. One such case is "Le Passe". With that director is enough for me. A Separation was my #1 movie of 2011.

    I share your thoughts on many others, but my anticipation is especially great for 12 Years A Slave. It just seems like such an incredible team was assembled. Besides, I became an admirer of the work of Michael Fassbender after watching Shame. One of my top 10 male performances ever, easily.

    Thanks for sharing. Nice list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @niels85:
      I just read a review of "Le Passe" at Bonjour Tristesse, he said it was among his favorites of the Vancouver film festival, so that’s promising:
      http://www.bonjourtristesse.net/2013/10/viff2013-day-6-diary.html

      Michael Fassbender is a superb actor. He’ll win some awards sooner or later.

      Pleased you found the anticipated list useful!

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails