Favorite music from 2013 (4 of 6)



Album: The Terror – The Flaming Lips



Like a throwback to atmospheric Soft Bulletin territory. The tunes are good for chill out purposes, but a bit difficult to tell apart. Some critics will applaud that it has the feel of a complete album, others will complain it lacks variation. The lyrics have an inaudible dreamy sound. Is there any significance or prank in the album released April 1st?

Favorite tracks:
Be Free A Way
Try To Explain
Butterfly How Long It Takes To Die
You Lust





Album: Muchacho – Phosphorescent



For me, among the most haunting new tracks of 2013 so far, with emotional vulnerability.

Favorite track:
Song for Zula





Album: Ghost On Ghost - Iron and Wine



The lyrics are ok, and the music pleasant enough, but unfortunately the album is unmemorable.

Favorite track:
The Desert Babbler





Album: Walkin on a Pretty Daze - Kurt Vile



Still growing on me, not sure if as powerful as his 2011 album. A few tunes I liked:

Favorite tracks:
Was All Talk
Never Run Away
Pure Pain
Too Hard
Shame Chamber
KV Crimes



Album: The Deserters - Rachel Zeffira



Thanks Josh for the recommendation!

Favorite tracks:
The Deserters
Here On In





Album: Pale Green Ghosts – John Grant



Sounds more like a 90s album than contemporary. His vocals and lyrics remind me of The Divine Comedy. Pretty melancholy if that appeals to you, apart from upbeat track Sensitive New Age Guy.

Favorite tracks:
Pale Green Ghosts
GMF
Sensitive New Age Guy
Vietnam




Album: Mosquito - Yeah Yeah Yeah’s



Probably the coolest album cover of the year so far? Thanks Steven for suggesting.

Favorite tracks:
Subway
Under The Earth
These Paths




5 of 6 will include: Phoenix, Young Galaxy, Major Lazer, Daft Punk, Daughn Gibson, and Anaïs Mitchell


Agree or disagree with the track selections? Feel free to comment on any aspect of this list.



14 comments:

  1. You're welcome. I heard the new Kavinsky record and... I really like it. I also like the new Flaming Lips. Later tonight, I'm going to download the new Phoenix album and listen to it. I like those guys. I'm also waiting for the new Daft Punk record. Oh, my favorite music soundtrack right now that is the music from Trance which I saw earlier today w/ To the Wonder. Man, that's a fucking great soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @thevoid99: Flaming Lips is in my top 10 of the year so far. Phoenix album is streaming on iTunes, I really liked it(more on that next week).
      I liked a couple of tracks on Kavinsky record-for me didn’t quite live up to the promise of the Drive soundtrack.
      I don’t know the Trance soundtrack, I’ll have to give that a listen soon. I’ve noticed praise for Spring Breakers soundtrack w/Cliff Martinez, which I haven’t heard yet either.

      Delete
  2. Ahh, I'm terribly behind on new music this year. Going to use your posts to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Bonjour Tristesse: Tell me about it, tough to keep up with all the new music. Hopefully you'll enjoy some of the tracks I highlighted in these posts.

      Delete
  3. Oh yeah, I forgot the Flaming Lips have a new album. Will be checking out that and the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs soon. And that is one crazy album cover!

    Really looking forward to the new Daft Punk. "Get Lucky" is infectious as all hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Eric: That nightmarish album cover is far-out! Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Flaming Lips albums are worth it. I agree, a promising track from Daft Punk.

      Delete
  4. Had my first listen of Mosquito the other day and fell in love with it. More mellow in some places and probably one of my favourite albums to listen to right now.

    Looking forward to Daft Punk's new one, but the first release hasn't really done much for me. It's okay, but something feels like it's missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jaina: I’m glad you like new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album, there are tracks on Mosquito which are a bit loud for my taste, but yes, a bunch of mellower tracks to enjoy too.

      We’ll see about Daft Punk, I honestly have hardly listened to that group before, so I don’t really know what to expect.

      Delete
  5. Hey Chris, if I may make a suggestion... how about putting the tracks on the post? As I've mentioned before, I'm not familiar w/ a lot of contemporary music, but I don't mind listening to some of 'em that you recommend :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ruth: I used to do that, but I figured it slows down my blog embedding lots of youtube videos. You'll have to right-click the links for now.
      In some cases, links are unavailable, because it's new music. That's why some of the tracks don't have a link here.
      If you have spotify, then you can go and listen to the albums.

      Delete
  6. You're welcome! Glad you liked it. I really enjoyed Mosquito, and I liked Ghost On Ghost well enough. Still behind on some of these, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Josh: Thanks again! Rachel Zeffira, she has a beautiful voice, look forward to following her career.
      Great you enjoyed Mosquito as well. Ghost On Ghost didn't do much for me, I prefer Iron and Wine's earlier stuff.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing, some of these are pretty good. I can't thank you enough for introducing me to "Song for Zula", truly beautiful song, great lyrics. There's a frailty and painful quality to his voice that makes the song very believable. One of the best tracks I've heard all year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @niels85: Happy you loved the song! I agree with your comments on Song For Zulu-which is still in my top 10 of the year.

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails