Monthly links from the blogosphere: September


New running feature on my blog...

Ryan, CS, Duke, Shala, Courtney, and others have been covering the Toronto Film Festival. I'm disappointed about the lukewarm reviews for Malick's To The Wonder, but happy to see positive buzz for Noah Baumbach's Frances Ha (2012), which is so under-the-radar it didn't even have an official IMDB entry a few weeks ago.


Bradley Cooper seems a bit old for Jennifer Lawrence, and the trailer I think gives too much away, but Silver Linings Playbook won the People's Choice Award in Toronto, and looks to be a possible contender at 2013 Academy Awards. From what I'm reading, the film is quite conversational, which is something I like from a movie.

Bonjour Tristesse celebrated his two year anniversary. Happy blogiversary, BT! He also looked at the recent Venice Film Festival, sharing review cuttings. The Master appears to have been the highlight of the festival.

Sati shares her honest thoughts on why she didn't like the new HBO show Girls, which has made me uncertain if I would enjoy the show, because I value her opinion. I think I'll just have to watch a few episodes, and see if it's for me, because I also listen to Alex Withrow's viewpoints, and he praised the show Please Permit Me to Rave About Girls. Maybe a love it or hate it kind of thing?


SDG at U Me and Films reviews Sergio Leone's Dollars Trilogy. I loved The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966), my favorite western so far, and I'm looking forward to finally watching the other two in the series very soon.

Andina at Inspired Ground shares Memorable Movie Moments #1 : Pools

Josh at The Cinematic Spectacle provides us with his September Oscar predictions

SJHoneywell at 1001plus reviews under-appreciated Smoke (1995)


Dan at Public Transportation Snob reviews Before Sunrise (1995), one of my favorites.

Steven at Surrender to the Void warms up for The Master by watching There Will Be Blood

David at Taste of Cinema lists his 21 Useful Tips For Being A Better Movie Buff, and writes an interesting article on Why Chinese-language Films Are Ignored by the West


Chip at Tips From Chip loved A Fish Called Wanda, one of my favorite comedies.

Stephanie Ward from On Page and Screen writes about 10 Book to Movie Adaptations I Read But Never Watched

Mette at Lime Reviews discusses A History of Boredom. Slow movies she loves, and slow movies that she finds boring.

3guys1movie ask what is your favorite TV show?



That's all folks! In a few days I'll post my monthly what have I been watching in September

20 comments:

  1. Nice round up of the blogsphere in September! A few posts that I need to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link! That show is definetly either loved or hated. And there are few who ignore it, who are probably doing the smartest thing there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sati: You're welcome! Loved or hated, that's the vibe I was getting about the show (without having seen Girls)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the link Chris !! Good, Bad, Ugly was my favorite of the three as well. I would love to hear what you think of the other two when you watch them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @SDG: My pleasure! Hopefully I will have time to sit down and watch the trilogy soon.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link, Chris! I'm already second-guessing some of my predictions though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Josh: No problem, I'm not knowlegable enough to make oscar predictions yet, good to see you try!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the two links,Chris.I need to dig other links here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @David: You're welcome! Yes, by all means, dig into the links ( :

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the shout out and for all the links. A Fish Called Wanda is a hilarious movie, even though I felt guilty for laughing through parts of it. A guilty pleasure. That's one of the movies we quote a LOT in our house. "Don't call me stupid!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Stephanie Ward: You're welcome! A Fish Called Wanda, yes, it is a guilty pleasure or sorts, because nobody likes to laugh at animals being mistreated(fish, dogs), but the screenplay and acting is so good, that you can't help it. Same goes for the brother sister relationship in the film, controversial, but unforgettable. Indeed quotable, and a comedy I think that works for American and UK audiences.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the link love! I'm still attracted to pools. Very hot weather these days. Have a nice day, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Andina: No problem! Sounds like you need to build a pool in your garden, if you haven't already got one there :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks Chris! Not sure how I missed David's 21 Tips post. That's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Bonjour Tristesse: Easy to miss stuff in the blogosphere, tough to keep up, because sometimes I want to unplug, to preserve the specialness of blogosphere, and do things in the real world.

      My link list here worked then, if you found an article you missed, so it's all good.

      Delete
  9. Chris,please work on this when you have time: http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2012/10-favorite-director-quotes-relay-race/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @David: Will do, thanks. I left a comment on your site a few seconds ago, I hope I understood the rules ( :

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the linkage. I'm glad so many people love laughing at A Fish Called Wanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Chip Lary: Anytime! A Fish Called Wanda looks to have a LAMB fanbase :)

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails